Situation: A company started small with everyone wearing many hats including the person in charge of HR. They wish to create a more formal HR structure with professional advice, but don’t yet want to hire a full-time HR professional. How do you create HR using outside resources?
Advice from the CEOs:
- One company outsources their full HR function. Services include:
- Putting records in order and maintaining them.
- Developing different hiring packages for different levels of employees.
- Keeping the company and employees updated on compliance regulations.
- Coordinating on-boarding and training.
- There are several national HR and personnel outsourcing companies that can help. Examples include Paychex and ADT. There are also a large number of local providers. Network with your business peers or check out your local Chamber of Commerce to learn who these providers are.
- What about training?
- Outsourced HR professionals can organize training for formal certifications and some aspects of job skills training.
- Training in company culture should be done by company leadership. Outsourced HR can organize schedules for this. The key point is that company leadership is the face of the company and the foundation of company culture. This can’t be effectively outsourced.
- In some cases, training can be done via video. Outsourced HR can help to plan and coordinate creation of the videos, and can then schedule video training for new employees.
- Have your in-house person join an HR roundtable to embellish their own training.