Interview with Keith Merron, CEO, Avista Consulting Group
Situation: Ongoing uncertainty makes it difficult to clarify strategies going forward. What are the bases for these uncertainties and how do you manage opportunities in this economy?
- The world is moving so rapidly that they key to success is differentiation. There is so much information about how to do this that companies start to look similar very quickly. The ability to stand out as different is critical. Ask yourself:
- What is my target market?
- What are the needs that my offer will satisfy?
- What is my unique approach that is distinct from other solutions which meet these needs?
- Once you identify the answers, you need to back these up.
- One has the opportunity to write the future. If you can get one step ahead of the curve this is a huge advantage.
- Products that died were often two steps ahead.
- Successful visionaries see patterns that are emerging, sense what is next, and speak to that.
- Because information is at your fingertips through the Internet anyone can set up a business. The Challenges are viability and sustainability. If these are present the opportunities are huge.
- The web is a place where you can share information. How to monetize this is unclear.
- Once you have a following you can offer things for sale that are valued by your following. When this happens, the potential for fast growth is more available than ever. So is the flip side. If a restaurant gets trashed on Yelp this can kill it!
- In a recession, M&A activity is faster. This enables one to establish a presence much more easily.
- There are many virtual companies. You no longer have to be in the same place to work together! There are also many ways to partner or co-brand via the Internet.
- What’s hard is to create tensile strength in the relationship. Because it is so quick and easy to cobble together relationships, the biggest challenges are creating loyalty and commitment.
- The needs are communications, motivation, commitment and follow-through – just like in a traditional company but in a virtual space. This creates a true bond.
You can contact Keith Merron at firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Words: Uncertainty, Opportunity, Differentiation, Target, Market, Needs, Approach, Timing, Patterns, Visionary, Internet, Following, Community, M&ATweet