Situation: A company has had one primary focus for the last few years. They are now developing another capability which takes significant attention from the CEO. How do you balance multiple foci, while maintaining a balance with family life? How do you balance multiple businesses?
Advice from the CEOs:
- Find people you trust and delegate – ask them for help. Give them lots of leeway – just ask for updates.
- Prioritize your weeks – big boulders and small rocks – decide weekly how you will focus. A week is a good planning time frame.
- Identify and come to grips with your situation – the brutal facts – this will help you to prioritize.
- Set boundaries based on time, relationships, priority – have realistic expectations of what you can accomplish. Set others’ expectations on when you will respond to their calls, emails, etc.
- Compartmentalize your time for full concentration and focus. Focus on one thing at a time instead of multi-tasking.
- Eliminate non-value added “stuff.”
- Avoid letting others impose their schedules onto yours.
- Use exercise time to refresh your endorphins, clear your head and give you time to reflect on priorities.