Situation: The CEO was just promoted from COO. During the transition, the CEO is responsible both for past and new duties. There is an extensive list of Company priorities. How should the CEO prioritize this list for action?
Advice from the CEOs:
- Key Take-Aways
- Focus on Executive Committee roles first – the roles of your leadership team.
- Select your leadership team carefully – the team that will implement your agenda. They will help you make key choices and implement changes and programs. It is essential that this team present a united front as you roll out any changes.
- As CEO, you are now accountable for the success of the company.
- Put issues on the table.
- Gather input and advice from your team.
- Make your decision on how to move forward.
- Delegate responsibility and accountability.
- Rally the team around your decision.
- Follow-up to assure that things are getting done.
- Be focused. If you only had the resources to do three things, which would these be? What will bring the greatest short and long-term value to the company?
- Avoid micromanaging assigned responsibilities.
- Bring in a consultant to assist you in implementing organizational changes that are necessary for the company.
- Defining new roles and responsibilities.
- Correcting behavior of team members that does not benefit the team.
- As soon as possible, promote, or hire someone to take on your old roles. You will have your hands full as CEO.
Key Words: Priorities, Leadership Team, Accountability, Responsibility, Delegation, Follow-upTweet